My name is Wayne W. Smith and this blog contains my musings related to higher education, tourism and anything else that comes to mind. I invite you to scroll down and laugh where appropriate, cry when necessary but always remember to consider the source.
Welcome to Monday Quiz About Me - hosted by Acting Balanced and Touristic. Here are FOUR QUESTIONS that everyone can answer and then you have the option to add a fifth question of your own for those who are visiting your blog to answer in the comment section, along with commenting on the four standard questions you answered! Grab the badge for your post if you like: Our Questions:
1. July is National Ice Cream month - are you celebrating?
2. What is your favorite rainy day activity?
3. What is the one book from High School that you remember reading most? Why?
4. Have you ever visited Charleston, SC? My Answers: 1. July is National Ice Cream month - are you celebrating? I am not a big fan of ice cream however, I may have some triple chocolate at some point. 2. What is your favorite rainy day activity? Any excuse to read a book works for me and rainy days are great ones. 3. What is the one book from High School that you remember reading most? Why? I really dislike Margaret Atwood but I really liked A Handmaid's Tail. Combine that novel with 1984 and Animal House and it is easy to see why I see conspiracies everywhere...:-) 4. Have you ever visited Charleston, SC? Since I live here... I certainly have. I must say however, that crossing the bridge onto the peninsula still gives me goosebumps even seven years later.
5th question - Where is the weirdest place you ever found yourself on vacation? Now please link up your posts here:
Back in the office this week and life is going 100 miles an hour. While it is good to get away (even for work) there is always extra payment when one returns. It is just the trade you have to make.
On a related note: One would ask why I am not considering going back again to China next year for three weeks. It is because the experience helps you grow and develop. Being outside one's comfort zone is a good way to discover who and what we really are.
Our boys are not good sleepers. That seems to make life as a parent that much more challenging. The worse part is that they are not consistent. One night you may get four hours and another you will actually get eight. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
On a related note: Heather and I didn't even get a date night while in Canada. At some point we have to carve out time together. It may have to be a 2:00 AM soiree.
This weekend I will be collecting data. I have couples coming into my lab to plan a weekend getaway. We will be examining their negotiation patterns as part of the process. I think it is a very cool study and I have really been looking forward to doing it.
On a related note: If you are in the Charleston area and are part of a couple and want to help me out, please send me a note at email@example.com. The incentive is pretty good, a free nights stay at Wild Dunes Resort.
Now it is time for Hilary and the Friday Fill Ins.
This week’s statements:
1. I never have enough alone time with my wife. 2. Small talk is hard for me 3. My favorite place is Toronto to vacation in the summer because between grandparents and the cooler weather, it is actually sort of relaxing. 4. The best concert I’ve seen was Pink Floyd in the early 90s because they are just awesome.
Thanks to Stasha for hosting listicles - this week's topic is... A list of words that makes me smile?
10. Paradox - it is a great word and describes my existence nicely.
9. Quandary - the result of the above.
8. Tenure - that has been such a nice word...
7. Oxymoron - tenure makes you think you have something, until you realize you don't - yet you still realize how good life is.
6. Payday - nuff said. Also buoyed by the fact that tenure ensures that payday will be forthcoming for the foreseeable future.
5. Troglodyte - my favorite insult.
4. Sarcasm - I'm what I y'am
3. Canada - see above & below...
2. Ironic - don't cha think?
1. Listicle - just thought I would kiss butt a little this week...it is nice to be back and blogging after all that travel. I missed my weekly dose of listicle fun.
On an aside...
Heather and I have some big changes coming up for the blogs (Touristic & Acting Balanced) and I think they will be very cool. I will have more for info for everyone on the changes over the next few weeks...
Welcome to Monday Quiz About Me - hosted by Acting Balanced and Touristic. Here are FOUR QUESTIONS that everyone can answer and then you have the option to add a fifth question of your own for those who are visiting your blog to answer in the comment section, along with commenting on the four standard questions you answered! Grab the badge for your post if you like: Our Questions: 1. What is your favorite summer activity? 2. Do you have a honey-do list? or a to-do-list of your own? 3. Would you go for a massage? Facial? Spa treatment? 4. What was the last song you danced to? My Answers: 1. What is your favorite summer activities? Research and writing. I am working on five papers this summer for publication. Two are already out and another is about to go. Here is hoping the last two go smoothly... 2. Do you have a honey-do list? or a to-do-list of your own? I have mental lists that I constantly work through. I tend not to write down things though perhaps I should. 3. Would you go for a massage? Facial? Spa treatment? I have a phobia about people touching me. I do not like even hand shaking and I dread hugs and kisses from people. My wife okay, my kids okay - anyone else - I do it because of social convention. I do not like to be touched. It creeps me out - yet I do it constantly. The things I do for you people.
4. What was the last song you danced to? I was bopping to AC/DC Back in Black in the car the other day.
5th question - Give me a famous quote...Now please link up your posts here:
We are now back in Charleston South Carolina after travelling to China and Canada. It is nice to be back in our home. It is amazing how you miss little things such as a shower and a bed.
On a related note: We did the drive from Toronto to Charleston leaving at 7:00 PM and driving basically straight through to 10:30 AM. The kids slept through about 75% of the drive making it tolerable for everyone. Well maybe except for the person that drove from 10:30 PM until home to make it happen but that person's happiness does not count.
Long drives are good for starting conversations and getting creative. Both Heather and I feel like we would like to change up our blogs. Come September we are going to do a major shake-up. We figure since we share a house, a family and a life - we can also share a blog. Acting balanced will have a whole new meaning come the fall. More on this topic to come...
On a related note:I go away for awhile and see that the Unknown Mami has taken over Fragments for the summer? At the rate she is going she will take over the inter-web thingy in just a matter of days.
Celebrating Canada Day and Independence Day in the same week. It is nice having two such great places to call home. The two countries share not just a continent but an ideal; that people need to be free to make choices and live their lives according to their beliefs and values.
On a related note: The kids kind like parades and fireworks twice in a week too.