My name is Wayne W. Smith and this blog contains my musings related to higher education, tourism and anything else that comes to mind. I invite you to scroll down and laugh where appropriate, cry when necessary but always remember to consider the source.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Downfall of America
I was reading www.ESPN.com and came across this story which has left me feeling a wee bit perturbed.
ESPN.com news services
Posted by Wayne W Smith at 10:23 AM 1 comment:
Monday, December 13, 2010
A view on education - A chain is only as strong as its weakest link
Here are some very interesting 2009 U.S. Census Bureau Statistics:
Educational Attainment by Degree-Level and Age-Group (American Community Survey) Percent of Adults 25 to 64 with a Bachelors Degree or Higher - 2009
Difference in Median Earnings Between a High School Diploma and a Bachelors Degree 25 to 64 Year Olds - 2007
- We are in a innovation and technology based economy yet only 29.8% of the population has a Bachelors degree.
- In South Carolina only 55% of high school students graduate 'on-time.'
- Using the US average, a person with a Bachelors degree will earn approximately $858,200.00 more in their lifetime (not adjusting for inflation).
- A C of C out-of-state student would see a $9.8:1 return on investment over a lifetime. An in-state students would see $20.4:1 return.
- A student with a Bachelors degree is almost 2.8 times less likely to be unemployed
Posted by Wayne W Smith at 2:01 PM No comments:
Sorry for not posting but I have been a little preoccupied lately. With everything going on, I had to prioritize and unfortunately, the blog lost in that. I do however, intend to come back with a flurry.
Posted by Wayne W Smith at 1:35 PM No comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)