I have gotten a series of requests lately for advice on choosing a dissertation topic. So while I am writing to specific people, I thought I would share these ideas broadly too.
- Fun - You are going to spend a considerable amount of time doing this topic, you better at least be somewhat interested in it.
- Fund-able - There are very few projects that can be done for free. Make sure you have the resources to be able to complete the project.
- Feasible - The clock is ticking, make sure it is a project you get can done in the time available.
- Future - Will completing this project help your job prospects after completing it?
- Foundation: Do I have the skills and abilities to get this done?
- Faction: Does my adviser have the skills and abilities help me through this? Can they help me put together the right committee to make this project all it should be?