- Leaving my house at 8:00 AM and not returning until 5:30 dinner riding my bike all over Toronto AM. In no way could my kids run free range around a city like Toronto anymore - it is sad that is a freedom my kids will never know.
- Playing baseball all summer. My dad was a coach in the league and it was one of the things that today, I so appreciated about what he was willing to do for me.
- We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up but I remember one time my parents were able to scrape up enough money to go to Marine Land. Here is the photo evidence.
- Going camping every summer for two weeks to Killbear Provincial Park. One again, the freedom to wander all over the park as long as we were back for dinner was incredible.
- Playing street games. We used to play hockey, stick ball and football on the street. I don't know how many times, one of us called out 'CAR' to stop the game for a moment and let someone pass.
- Working at Toronto Parks and Recreation. When I turned 16 I started working running summer day camps and sports leagues etc.
- I went back last year to one of the parks in Toronto that I worked at regularly and found my signature on the wall - it was fun to see that it was still there after all these years. I still can't believe it was that long ago.
- I got married to my beautiful and talented wife 14 years ago in the summer. She is a great woman and if you ever get the chance check out her blog extraordinaire at www.actingbalanced.com.
- Six years ago we moved to Charleston SC over the summer. Moving while my wife was seven months pregnant to the heat of Charleston at the time would not have been classified as fun but looking back, it is such a pleasure to live and work in this city that I wouldn't change it for anything.
- Yesterday, the kids and I were at one of the boat launches because my two youngest just love seeing them. On in the river however, a pod of dolphins found something that made them very happy in the inter-coastal waterway. They put on a show that would rival the best SeaWorld could ever dream of putting on and it was about 50 yards from us. Only one word could describe it - spectacular.
- Today, while we live in Charleston, South Carolina, my wife and three kids are making our own memories. One of them is that was make an annual trip back to Toronto for three weeks or so. We leave later this week for Toronto and I hope this trip will add to the list for next year!
Monday, June 4, 2012
For some reason, I have been trying new blog hops of the past week or so. I am continuing that theme with this seemingly fun one called Monday Listicles hosted by Northwest Mommy. The idea here is to come up with a list on a theme. This week's challenge is the top 10 summer memories. Here goes:
Posted by Wayne W Smith at 3:30 AM