- How come when everything is starting to work well is when administration decides it is time to change things?
- On a related note - my sabbatical is approved and perhaps some time to step away will recharge my batteries after a long 10 year run I have been on. Perhaps my cynicism is partially due to a little case of the 'burn outs.'
- I love my students. Yesterday, I got to have great conversations with about 25 of them at various points during the day. They are intelligent, well-mannered and humble people. People who talk about millennials' as self-entitled brats know not what they are talking about.
- On a related note - if you treat people with respect and dignity, it tends to come back to you.
- Last night was the opening of the Charleston Food + Wine Festival. Everyone always tells me, you get to go to all these cool events, your job must be awesome. I however, feel like a fish out of water at such things. I am by far not sophisticated enough to fit in with such a esteemed crowd. I did like however; that I was able to bring one of my students with me to the event and introduce her to influential people.
- On a related note - Why yes, it is awesome to have my job!
- Got a paper accepted to the Journal of Travel Research this week (probably the top journal in our field). Congrats to my co-authors Steve and Bob! This paper (which we will feature on a future blog post) is absolutely a brilliant piece of work thanks to them.
- On a related note - a student just submitted an absolutely brilliant paper for a contest and somehow that is so much more exciting to me. Sorry guys.
- Only 15 days until I get my formal notification as to whether I receive my tenure or not. I passed my department with a 5-0 vote in favor, got the highest ranking in each category from my dean and received a 5-0 vote in favor from the College wide committee.
- On a related note - I feel confident but not secure. One never knows. Plus tenure is not what it once was.
- One final note - While I love my work, it can sometimes be hard of my family (especially at certain times of the year). Thanks to my beautiful bride Heather (check out www.actingbalanced.com) and the kids for putting up with my insane schedule over the past couple of weeks (mid-term time) and into next.
- One a final related note - is it sad that I found out about my daughter social status via facebook? Oy vey!
Friday, March 2, 2012
Friday Fragments - v17
Once again, thanks to Mrs. 4444's for hosting this great fraggin' party!